Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Hoping Mad!

   Ha!  You thought the king of typos messed up his headline, didn't ya?  LOL!  Nope, actually, it's spelled for just it stands for... Hope and insanity. 
    It's been a strange weekend.  I had out of town company show up unannounced, (a relationship issue, so of course I opened my door to an old friend in need) and staying off of SL for the most part.  My friend isn't on SL, has no interest in it, so out of respect, I haven't been on except a coupla times while he was either out of the house, or asleep.  *There's a correlative point here in a minute, just you wait!*  We spent most of the last couple of days on FB playing games etc., while talking about his "problems".  It feels good to be able to help someone else, especially when you are a bit down yourself.  I don't know if it's the distraction from the madness of your own life, or a human need we have to just be wanted/needed/helpful.  Either way, that was the *madness* part!
    On to the *hoping* part.... I have had two job interviews this week already, the second this morning, and have a third tomorrow morning.  The first was in a totally different field, non-restaurant, is a middle management job, and involves little physical labor. (The arthritis in the feet loves that part!)  The pay is OK, but nothing to brag about, and there are limited benefits.  A good point about it is that it's a third shift job, and I would only have to deal with four "underlings" who would be out on assignment most of the night while I did paperwork.  As I'm a night owl anyway, not too bad of a deal.
     The second IS in the food service industry, but in an institutional setting, so it is not as high stress as dealing with the public, the bosses, the underlings, the food reps, the drivers... on and on and on.  The excellent part is the insurance.  As it's a State job, there are pretty decent benefits, not like there were when I worked for the State back in the 80's for a bit, but vision/dental and health.  Paid days off, sick days, vacation etc. are all included.  Unfortunately, it comes at a price... the starting pay is barely above minimum wage, but there are a few chances for advancement based on my years in the field.... with no additional schooling required and some of that paid by them should I choose to ever go back to college.
    The one tomorrow is kind of a "dream job" for me.  It is in the foods industry still, but in a customer liaison department of a major food supplier.  It is an office/travel to locations job, but with no sales..... kind of a "trouble shooting" position, with industry standard or slightly above pay, good benefits, bonuses etc.  The bad thing about this one is that they wanted someone with a business management degree at the minimum, but had a lot of trouble finding someone for the pay involved.  It's good pay, but not SO good that someone employed already would leave another long term job for. (Even the interviewer told me this on the phone in our initial conversation... it's less than I was making at my last job, but decent for starting pay in this area.)  He was interested in my well over two decades of hands on customer experience and people skills (thank you professional friends that were references!!!!! Muahs!)  Unfortunately, he's already told me before I even interview that his boss has instructed him to hire a "diploma person" (his words) if one comes along before the position actually comes open in two weeks.  Crossing fingers on this one!!!!!
    The best part of all for ALL of these positions...... They all know my last employer, know his ways, and have told me that even if they are required by protocol to call him for a reference, no matter WHAT he says, it will be disregarded!  Yay!!!!                                                                                                    
    So, there ya have it..... Hoping Mad!  Hope for a job, and the usual madness that is the RL of Teleny Macarthur!  Love y'all!


*Insanity Rulz!*
      Tel

2 comments:

  1. My theory is that generally people that hire people are idiots. But sometimes idiots make decisions that while they are a shot in the dark, turn out to be fortuitous. Thus using the Rammy reasoning system (not perfect of course) you may get an offer. So my good wishes go out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Rammy! As the person who used to DO all the hiring and firing, you're right.... sometimes, it's that "shot in the dark" that pays off... at my first management job, I hired a lady slightly older than myself... that was twenty years ago... who is now the head of that company, and would hire me in a heart beat if I was free to leave my current location. Sometimes it pays to follow the heart, instead of the brain!

    ReplyDelete