Friday, May 7, 2010

Grrrrrrr........ in response to a FB post... and my response reposted here....

I am still a little incensed at the news article that I posted earlier.  I am of Irish/Italian/French/Jewish/Dutch/German/English/Native American (and goodness knows what all else!) descent. I am gay. I chose none of these, nor do I have a particular "pride" in any of them.

These are merely genetically predetermined elements of my being, and none of them define "me". I CHOSE to be pagan, and I CHOSE to be a middle of the road Republican. I CHOSE my profession, and I CHOSE where to buy my home, and what kind of clothing and auto to own. Why do people seem to think that they deserve special privileges based on things that they did not "choose"? I have pride, yes, but mine comes from the things that I have worked for, the accomplishments in my life, and the adversities that I've overcome. I do, however, want the same rights as any other tax paying citizen in this country...

To be able to be in a civil union with whomever I choose.. (Marriage shouldn't be recognized by the government anyway... it's a religious thing!).... to live where I want, w/o fear of recrimination or discrimination, to get jobs based on my qualifications, and not on my gender, race or sexual preference.

In short, I want to be an American Citizen, in  what still is the ONLY country that I want to live in, (though I enjoy travel to and respect others!),  in this country that every other country in the world USED to look up to, as the leader in civil and personal rights and freedoms!

I will now just sit back, and wait for BOTH sides to hate me, but, know what?  I don't care!  LOL!  I am sick and tired of the "special interest groups" in this country telling me what I can and can't think.... what I can't and can do, and how I can and can't vote.  I don't like the fact that there is a United Negro College Fund, and not a Caucasian American one.   (Neither did my African American ex boyfriend, BTW!)  I don't like the fact that my Native American ancestors were brutalized by my European ones, nor do I like the fact that there is a good possibility that some of MY Southern ancestors might have owned some of my ex boyfriend's ones! .... (This country puts TOO much stock on paperwork.... my mother is 1/8 Native American... she should have qualified... BY LAW at the time ... for college assistance, and a whole bunch of other things.... but... her grandmother was born on one of the "Trail of Tears" forced marches .. of mixed tribal descent, and the only proof we had was the family Bible, which the govt wouldn't accept!)

 However, that being said... they are facts..... but they are PAST facts, and not relevant in today's society at all.  It seems to me, that we had better take our heads out of our collective asses, pull together, and work TOGETHER to try and recover the glory and optimism for ALL of our citizens that is what this country was based on in the beginning! (and, BTW, for my religious, Right Wing, RL friends that read this... our founding fathers were Deists, NOT monotheists.... do the research, I did!.... separation of Church FROM State is what they really meant!)

I am tired of my hard earned money going to support women who have child after child, and choose not to work.... AND the men that father those children!  Welfare and public support should be for those who NEED it and have earned it, NOT for those that merely abuse the system.  I know many hard working people, some with handicapped children... some with physical/mental/emotional problems themselves... that DO deserve to have the government "have their backs", but I know FAR more that just sit on their lazy asses, never look for jobs, and pop or father one out back to back.

Such things as race, color, gender, sexual affinity... these are NOT something that you choose..... and, fortunately, in our legal system, you are *supposedly* not judged by which church you choose, or choose not, to attend.  (Doesn't always work that way here in "Small Town USA")

Sorry for the long rant, but that story REALLY touched a nerve with me.  Yes, those young people were more than likely trying to start some shit.  They were teenage boys.  That's what they DO, unfortunately, these days.   Can't say as I blame them, though......To be perfectly honest... except for my Native American ancestors..... ALL of my fore bearers were immigrants... but LEGAL ones!   ILLEGAL immigration has taken its toll on our economy... LEGAL immigration is welcome, and should be encouraged...... and with so many kids taking guns to prove their points in school these days, I feel that these young'ens should be applauded for making a statement, however crude, in a nonviolent, acceptable fashion.....fortunately, the school board for that district ultimately agreed!  Kudos to them!

*and steps OUT of his personal pulpit, before he *should have to* pay taxes for going political in church!*

!LAWLZ!
How would YOU feel if told that you could not wear your country's "colors", because it might offend someone that you worked with/went to school with/lived next to.... IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY!!!!!  Sheesh!

'Nuff..... bedtime....

*Peace*
   Tel

1 comment:

  1. Author's note.... this is NOT in any way a recrimination on the hard working legal temporary workers in our country.... in the restaurant business, I have worked with many, of many different nationalities.... all of whom paid taxes, yet supported their families back home.... too bad that "Middle Class AMERICANS" no longer seem to have these same work ethics any longer! hmmm... Labor Unions.. subject for another blog entirely! *chuckles*

    ReplyDelete