Saturday, May 1, 2010

I FINALLY made the switch!

     Yes, I've given up my beloved old friend.... the original LL viewer!  Thanks to the bloggings of the many folks that I follow, I've been encouraged to try all of the other "compatible" viewers out there, and decided to go with the new Emerald.
     Previously, I was NOT an Emerald fan.  My old system just bogged down under all of it's "heaviness".  I lagged to hell and back, had ALL sorts of TP problems, etc..  However, out of all of the ones out there that LL has OH so graciously decided to bless, as alternatives to that HORRID new one of theirs... the new Emerald most fits my needs.
     The user interface is almost exactly like the old LL viewer... a plus to this old dog that is a LITTLE bit reluctant to embrace too many new tricks.  So far, I've managed to finds ALMOST all the bells and whistles, and just in two days.  Primary functions.... i.e.  time settings, inventory, that sorta stuff.... are all the same as the old LL one, so that made actually "using" it an immediate thing..... and NO idiotic tabs floating around on my screen.
     Graphically, it's amazing!  I think that the images are clearer than even the old LL viewer, and I LOVE the myriad of pre-programmed sky/time alternatives in the settings menu.  As an "occasional amateur" photographer, (OK, OK... so yeah.... I'm a BIT on the camera happy side!)  they provide some interesting effects, without me having to go to the trouble of moving slider bars around until I get what I'm looking for.  Oh, yeah, and I'm lagging less and am having less TP problems than with the original LL viewer, but, that MIGHT be because of the grid wide reset and reprogramming...  (doubt it though... when has an LL "fix" ever REALLY helped anything?  ;-)   )
     I haven't found one thing, yet.   On the old browser, several months ago, I was given a tip in a group that I belonged to on how to remove the default LL inventory.  I did it at the time, and now can't remember how.  This eliminates over a thousand items immediately from inventory, ALWAYS a plus to us packrats (read that as *too lazy to sort the damned thing and get rid of stuff!  XD).  So, if anyone can help me with that, I'll be eternally grateful, and throw in some catnip!
     Again, I'd like to thank all of you for pointing me in the direction of this viewer.  LL might think that THEY hold all the cards, but, as in First Life..... sometimes the consumer's reviews DO make the most difference!
     On a side note, I'm making textures.  I think maybe, now that I'm getting used to the buttons on Photoshop, and being a bit of an amateur artist in RL, I might try some building textures.  I have had a couple of builder friends express an interest in collaberating on this.  I'm NOT much of a builder, but have always enjoyed the design/decorating aspect of this. (Yes, I like show tunes, as well.... Gay much? ROFL!). 
     Anyway, the first few that I've done, I've just given away as "demos", so am gonna post them here, all but one w/o watermarks.  I'd appreciate any honest feedback that y'all might have for me..... constructive criticism is well handled in this household....Goddess KNOWS I get enough from "you know who!"  ROFL!

Have a GREAT weekend, my friends.  Blessed Walpurgis Nacht...Blessed Beltaine..... and Happy May DAY!  (Now, if ANY of you have a spare Maypole just laying around...... make sure it's Xcite compatible, and email that sucker MY way!  ROFL!)

*Peace*

    Tel


Just one of the 456,675 pics that I've taken with the
new Emerald backgrounds.... LOVE the way they've
done the lighting effects... Amazing!









I started the texture from blank backgrounds, and all are hand drawn, with a little help, occassionally, from some full perm brushes, (although, I've been making my own specialty brushes, as well).  I began with stained glass, of course, as I am familiar with it very much IRL, and have done quite a bit of it over the years, both real, and "fake"... i.e.  paint on, on rice paper, whatever.  I am now working on wall textures, and some other stuff.  Since I've been unemployed, I definitely have had the free time to do this! grrrrrr.......
This one, the first I did, was inspired
by the quote on my son, Spanki's blog
from Dracula, and therefore is dedicated
Spanks, one of the most important people
in ALL my worlds.... Love you, Son!

Heehee... Justyn says this one
looks like lollipops, but he DOES
have a bit of an oral fixation,
methinks!  XD!


I actually made this one, called "Pink Lady"
after Justyn sent me pics of his new
"Pink Kitteh" look.... lawlz!

Just a bit of "oriental flair". 
This one is for you,
Lucifer's Raven!













This one was actually purchased by
a builder friend, for exclusive use in a project
she's working on!  Woot!  (hence the watermark initials!)

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Tel!

    If you mean the library, it's like this:

    Go to "advanced"
    there to "Debug Settings"
    there type in "NoInventoryLibrary"
    set to TRUE
    restart your viewer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO much, Franzi! I'd forgotten in the months since I'd done it before... *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. "amateur artist in RL"???? we are all real artists in RL and SL - if you are a human you are a real artist, it is just like breathing. whoa - I went off the deep end there, sorry. I like emerald I think - it is like a pair of glasses. I am not so sure about the new set of glasses from LL. I will have to wear them some to see what I think. Anyway as they say in ham radio (if they even say this because I not sure there is ham radio any more) over and out. (and I do mean "out")

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not really a deep end, Rammy.... I get what you're saying... and I'm loving my Emerald more and more each day! (Also not sure about the ham radio thing.... hmmm.... now I'm gonna have to see about that.... had some family in that years ago!)

    ReplyDelete