Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Dammit!

      Well, I spent most of the day moping IRL yesterday, deciding that logging in to SL and taking that out on my friends would not be beneficial to either them or me.  I was offered a job, finally, and had to turn it down.
      The job was at a local "big box store", I won't name a name, because I have applied for other positions there, as well, and was something that I was really interested in.  It was, however, misposted on their job board.  It was listed as a full time baking position, 35+ hours a week, full benefits, etc.  When the lady called me for an interview (over the phone.... she sorta knew me from another job that I had several years ago, and didn't need to see that I dress appropriately, bathe, etc... or so she said.  Heh.  I don't remember her at all, but we WERE a very busy place with lots of diners!) she told me that it was really part time, which is described as between 0-32 hours a week, pays minimum wage, which is what I'm making on UE now, with NO guarantees that I would get any hours at all.  She did say that most of the part-timers got about 8-16 hours a week.   She also told me that there was absolutely NO chance of this going full time in the future, nor any benefits.
     She went on to tell me that they were hiring five of these positions.  My question to her was.....could I have 2-3 of the positions, because I need full time work, or very close to it, to justify losing the UE.  Hell, if there had even been a chance of this going full time permanent, I would have jumped on it, to get my foot in the door.  Her response was "That's not how our policy works, hun... I'm sorry."  I believe she meant it.  At this point, since I'm on an extension, I would lose my UE, instead of it just covering the $$ difference.   I can barely make ends meet now, let alone risking making 60-120 bucks a week.  I make 300$ now.  If I was still on first tier, so it would pay the difference, I would still take it.  I dunno..... I think I"ve hit that damned if you do/ damned if you don't wall.  Our system is broken, badly. 
       I hate being on the "system".  I can't afford to lose my house, though, for a job that the boss of the department assured me basically is a no win situation.   This has happened to others that I know.  At the least, I AM grateful for her honesty though in not misleading me on the future potential of the position.   I have had one other interview that I actually found out that the interviewer outright lied to me about just that to try and get me to "sign on", because, in spite of the fat, blubbering asshole that I used to work for and his lies, my skills are first class in my field, and until him, I had a sterling reputation here, both as a cook and as a manager.  The interviewer's boss actually called me and corrected the "accidental misstatements" made by the interviewer at that one,when he found out, though.  I notice that the interviewer is no longer with that company either, since I saw her filing for UE at the WorkOne office the other day.  Hmmmmm..
     Anyway, today is another day..... and life, such as it is, goes on, hopefully for the better!  As a real life friend of mine posted on FB the other day...."In life we all have an unspeakable secret, an irreversible regret, an unreachable dream and a unforgettable love..."  I replied: "All of which can be made bearable by having unflinching faith in ourselves."  Perhaps I need to take my own advice.

Here's a few pics that really made me chuckle.  Laughter really IS the best medicine!

*Peace and Gratefulness for humor!*
Tel

No comments:

Post a Comment