Friday, June 4, 2010

Just a RL opinion on the Gulf oil leak........

      I see people wanting to boycott BP stations, and hope they don't. I'm as angry/upset/confused by this whole mess as anyone, but, this will not hurt the company in the least, just the small business owner that is trying to feed his/her family. Picket the main BP headquarters, if you must, but I don't think it will really do any good.
     Personally, I think that we're just as much at fault as any oil company, any politician, or anything else. We're the ones that have to have the SUV's and Hummers, and 4WD Pickups, for personal use, (business use is different)......Just an opinion.
      I freely admit my personal guilt in this.... I have an addiction to horsepower too, and up until five years ago or so, I was driving/restoring a '75 Pontiac Catalina, 400 big block, with a four barrel carb... got about 14 mpg city (on a good day) and maybe MAYBE 20-ish on the highway.....
     Even when my car was still running, I walked to work whenever possible for the last three years, quit driving to Louisville or Cinci, just to play every weekend..... and yet, am still just as guilty, because I keep my house set on 65 in the winter, and burn WAY too many lights and fans in the summer..... just sayin'.....
    As a FB/SL friend of mine pointed out to me, the BP franchisees here, were, for the most part, originally affiliated with Mobile, or other US companies that were eaten up by BP, and not all that happy about it, when it happened.  The ones that I knew personally had too much time/energy/money invested to leave the situation.  This is OUR fault, collectively, not theirs, and as soon as this is accepted, maybe it can be dealt with better.  Stop pointing fingers, work together, fix the damned problem THEN worry about pointing fingers, before the area of the world that I was born in, and love so dearly, is totally destroyed!
     Please!

*Peace and loads of frustrations in many areas*
Tel

No comments:

Post a Comment