Sunday, October 25, 2009

Comments on an interesting blog I read last night..........

     Last night, I read the blog of an acquaintance.  In this blog, that person suggested that SL is used by some as a "replacement" for RL, and this was done in a fashion that insinuated that this was a bad thing.  Now, I agree, you can become SO immersed in SL, that you forget about RL responsibilities, and neglect your RL for a while.  I've been guilty of this myself at times.  It CAN be overwhelming.
      However, if you approach SL as what it is, a visual, virtual social networking format, and, yes in part, a "video game", you can NOT lose with it.  Major corporations use SL as a "training format", both for design and for personal interactive training of employees, such as seminars etc.  On a personal level, I have met many wonderful people here, many of which have "blended" into my RL in various ways.  Some I now email frequently, trading music files and family photos.  Others, in my capacity as a chef, I kick around recipe ideas with, which helps my own and their businesses.  I know one lady that owns dozens of sims, and now makes her living solely off of SL.  (THAT would be nice... no more time clocks!  ha!)
     SL offers a creative outlet for building, design and graphics work that has been unparalleled in many people's lives.  I have friends on SL that are homebound for various reasons... physical, emotional, whatever.... and it gives them a chance to "get out and participate" in a "world" that THEY have control over, instead of the world which has been so cruel to them in many ways.  I've met people here that I've interacted with in RL, in my roles in the Society for Creative Anachronism. (Medieval recreationists, for the uninitiated)  I have met people here that we've bonded on a musical level, and have met RL at concerts of our favorite groups.  I have had lunch with a DEAR lady friend, driving almost an hour to a "middle point", at which we discussed the break up of her RL marriage, and ultimately, her lasting happiness with a man she MET on SL, after that breakup.
     I have been invited to be in the wedding of a SL friend... the RL wedding~!  That's in the Jersey Isles, off the coast of Britain.  I have been invited to visit friends in Germany, in Holland, in Australia, and in Japan.  I have contacts now in Canada, with standing invititations, should I ever go "north" from  my RL location in Southern Indiana, USA, for vacation.  I've been to California to visit a buddy who's mother was ill.  I actually met someone from right here in my home state, although several hours away, with whom I've bonded on a level that I've not had since the death of my RL lover over ten years ago, though I've approached it many times, not the least of which was my recent relationship with my beloved "Dobby".  As in RL, sometimes things just don't "click" for whatever reason, and you move on, wishing no one ill, if you're an adult. I have met and interacted with people from places I've always wanted to visit, and from places I've never heard of.  People tend to forget that SL IS real.... these are flesh and blood, soulfilled, probably more honest on many levels than they would be face to face, individuals behind the "critters".  Be gentle with them.  You wouldn't necessarily walk up and be brutally honest with a mate, date or friend in RL.  The same mores and rules apply in SL, if you choose to use it as a "perfectly valid alternate reality", as Tel has described it to his RL friends.  Hell, I talk about my SL friends so much, that my coworkers now ask me..."How's Aso?  How's your son doing?  Been to any good parties/dances/whatever lately?"  They even realize the reality behind my interactions on Second Life, and recognize their validity.  To them, it is no different than me asking about their families and loved ones.
     The first person that I "blended" with on SL, a LONG time ago, perhaps summed it up best...."On Second Life, you get to know a person's soul FIRST, before the physical bullshit interferes."   I have remembered that quote fondly, and STILL smile when I think of it.  It's true.  As with ANY social interaction,  you will get out what you put in.  If you choose to make Second Life a "game" only, and come for RP, or to fight dragons (a former weakness of Tel's...lol....we won't go into the psychology behind THAT one!..hahahha), or just to build and have fun.... so be it....just be considerate of those around you, for some of them MIGHT just happen to "live" in SL, for whatever personal reasons.  If you choose to use it as a meeting place and playing place amongst friends, I've found that to be incredibly rewarding as well.
     And, yes, to finish this, you CAN fall in love on SL.  There are REAL people, REAL emotions, REAL personalities behind these avatars.  Sometimes, we forget that, but connections are made here.... long term, perfectly valid connections.  Treat your fellow "critters" with respect, and you will most likely get that back.  If you DO hit the occassional "asshole"... there's ALWAYS the mute button.  Or.... be a dick like I am... leave them on your lists, but just ignore them.... yeah, there's a REAL person behind Tel, too, and he can't control others, just how he reacts to them.  Like the loving part of SL, and the friendships.... the anger and resentment is ALSO directly related to what you put into this.
    To end this rant.......  be gentle to your comarades here.  You CAN build lasting relationships, friendships or romance or business, or whatever bent they take, here on Second Life.  Most of all...... ENJOY IT!  Like RL situations, if it ain't profitable, rewarding, or fun.... GET THE HELL OUT~~!!  Don't hurt others to make yourself feel better, and definitely don't keep hurting yourself.  Turn OFF "the game"... move on.... find other places to visit, to play and to dream.... eventually, you just might be happy!

REAL LIFE love to my "family" on here, and to my friends, both inworld and out!  Blessed Be~!

2 comments:

  1. Bravo! Well said! Here here! *huggleglomps and returns to SL* LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, just a coupla notes....

    1. Please do not use my blog as a weapon against others... ANYONE.
    2. HT.... your post merely started me thinking, and I've been meaning to blog on this subject for a while.
    3. SL is fun... have fun with it.... nuff said!
    4. Further digging and reopening old wounds from anyone will not be allowed on this blog... this is MY blog, MY thoughts, and MY agenda... although SL oriented, it is MY RL personality that posts here, and it is not an open arena or shooting gallery.
    5. Play time! Hope EVERYONE is having a great day! (((Hugs the world, 'specially one SPECIAL "Notta"!))

    ReplyDelete