Sunday, December 27, 2009

And still moving right along.....

     Well, the contractor that I've engaged is still moving right along... he's removed the worst of the burnt out section of the front wall, but thinks that he will have to go ahead and replace it all.  This is a little problemattical, as I live in a historic home, in a state and federally regulated historic district.  My hometown, which was founded in 1809, is listed in the National Historic Register, and we have very strict federal guidelines and local laws that must be followed for such work.  It's ok, though, because I'm having him use authentic materials (i.e. wood clapboard siding, and we're salvaging the porch roof skirt, and the fish-scale shingles above the porch line, etc.), so we should have no problems with the Historic Board.  It does slow things a bit, but I can't complain, as tourism is our no. 1 industry here at the moment.  The more people in town, the more people that eat, the better the business at the diner!
     He's taking Sundays off, which is kinda good, because it gives me my one day off from work to sleep in a bit, then to do laundry, etc., but I'm getting tired already of living in just two rooms of my house!  Ha! (I am a BIT of an impatient person... NO, you say!  ROFL!)  I'll try to remember to get/post some pics later of the work as it progresses.  I'm just glad that I hadn't put up all my Christmas decorations this year.  Usually, there is greenery all over the front porch, and ribbons/trees/tinsel/garlands/textiles etc. all over the living room.  I can't imagine the damage that would have caused, had all that extra tinder been in place when the fire broke out, because the Christmas Tree always has sat right in front of the wall that the fire started in! (See, honey, everything DOES happen for a reason!)
     Well, off to have a bit of RL fun.... laundry, vacuuming plaster/wood dust off the rugs in the rooms that I'm living in, taking HER to Wally World  (my LEAST favorite place on earth, except my job!), and so on.... Y'all have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I must say that for all the hassle this is, that I am impressed with how fast things are moving! For some reason I have this impression of long long waits to get your life back on track while the insurance company sorts things out during buyisness days and hours at a snals pace.

    Still thinking of you and wishing you many lucks!

    ReplyDelete