Monday, December 7, 2009

Twelve Days!

     Although probably my least favorite of the traditional Christmas songs, if only because of the length and repetitive nature of it, it seems appropriate to post this one now, as it is only TWELVE DAYS until I get the best Christmas prezzie that I've had in years.  This song, assumed to be secular in nature, actually came into being in one of two ways:  (I've seen documentation on both, but the backgrounds are similar... here's a link to the meanings of the verses.)  Either it appeared in England during the reign of Henry the VIII, during his persecution of Catholics after his split with the Roman Church, or it appeared during the reign of his daughter, Bloody Mary, during her years on the throne, when she attempted to put the Anglican Church of her father back in the box.  A little confusing, but, either way, the hidden meanings are the same.
     I, however, have posted these two versions, one with traditional words, but sung a LITTLE untraditionally, heehee, and the Shrek version.  This does not imply a disrespect to my Christian friends (as most of you know, I am Wiccan, yet still love this time of year, which has special meaning to MY colleagues as well, and is chock full of ancient, pre-Christian symbolism, anyway!), but merely find these very fun!   Hope you enjoy them!




No comments:

Post a Comment